Painting the Illusion of Glass in Watercolor
May 14-17, 2020, at the Knoxville Crown Plaza
We are delighted you are considering joining us for our Knoxville, TN, workshop scheduled for May 14-17, 2020. To register, submit a $100 deposit (non-refundable) or full registration fee of $450. Balance to be paid at workshop. All skill levels, including beginners, are welcome to attend. Enrollment is currently open.
Watercolor is the ideal medium for interpreting and expressing the complex subtleties of light. Its transparency makes it uniquely suited to convey luminous surfaces and veils of atmosphere. With it you can create pale washes as well as dark, powerful and moody images. It is a lovely and fluid language in which to express any idea or image. Paul’s focus for this workshop will be to guide you through a painting from beginning to end, as you paint together a stunning image of dramatic light and luminosity. You may choose to follow along with his demo, or find another subject entirely. We’ll send out the reference image/s he will use the week before the class begins.
A list of suggested supplies is below. We’ll paint together for 4 days, May 14-17, 2020, from 9:00a.m. to 3:00p.m each day – breaking for lunch from 11:30 to 12:30 at the Crown Plaza, 401 W Summit Hill Drive, Knoxville, TN 37902. Feel free to email me with any additional questions.
Suggested Materials List
- Paper– 2 sheets of Arches watercolor paper, 140lb, 260lb or 300lb cold press. (I’ll demonstrate on 1/2 sheet of 260lb -20×26”)
- Painting board-large enough to fit 1/2 sheet of paper.
- Palette – I use a Quiller palette, but any large watercolor palette will do.
- Water containers – at least 2
- Paper Towels
- 3 Round watercolor brushes, pick a small, medium and large, also a 2” flat wash brush
- 1 small, cheap brush for masking fluid.
- Masking fluid
- Any other watercolor supplies you normally use.
(Aka: kneaded eraser, Exacto knife, sketching pencil, masking tape…)
- Paint – Bring the paints you normally use. Paul will be using his Paul Jackson Signature Watercolor Paint Set by Da Vinci Paint Co.: Aubergine, Bora Bora Turquoise, Cabernet, Cowbell, Deep Dark Blue, Deep Purple, Electric Lemon, Envy, Fireball, International Orange, Jackson Blue, Kathmandu Alizarin, Marigold, Masters Yellow, Portrait Pink, Rockstar Pink, Sienna Fire, Submarine Yellow, Ocean, Ultramarine Dream
- Matching colors from other professional brands will suffice.
By completing your registration transaction, you are agreeing to accept the following cancellation policy. There will be NO deposit refunds. You may transfer your deposit to another Paul Jackson Watercolors Workshop hosted by Paul Jackson Watercolors… or you may find a substitute to take your place. It is the responsibility of the person registered to make his/her own reimbursement arrangements with the substitute. We understand that last minute emergencies, illnesses or conflicts come up that cannot be controlled and we are truly sorry, but due to committed expenses on the part of Paul Jackson Watercolors, we are unable to make exceptions.
Paul Jackson Watercolors reserves the right to cancel workshops due to insufficient enrollment or other reasons beyond our control. If Paul Jackson Watercolors cancels a workshop, applicants will receive a full refund.
*** The digital and printed images of references and artwork shared with participants are the property of Paul Jackson and Paul Jackson Watercolors.