Watercolor Workshop with Paul Jackson
May 16-20, 2022
Dramatic Light & Luminosity in Watercolor
In-person: $650 – Savannah, Georgia
Live Zoom virtual workshop: $550
Recording only: $400
Internationally recognized and acclaimed watercolorist Paul Jackson,AWS,NWS, will be hosting a live and online Zoom watercolor workshop May 16-20, 2022, from 9:30am-12:00pm and 1:00-3:30pm Eastern Time Monday- Thursday and 9:30am-12:00pm on Friday. in Savannah, Georgia.
For online participants:
You will need an internet connection and a device with audio/video capabilities. You will receive the Zoom invitation link after you have registered.
Suggested Materials List:
- Paper – 1 sheet of Arches watercolor paper, 140lb, 260lb (aka 156 lb cold press/356gsm) or 300lb cold press.
Paul will demonstrate on a 1/2 sheet (20×26″) of 260lb – (aka 156 lb cold press/356gsm) You’ll likely want to paint on a half sheet as well.
- Painting board – large enough to fit 1/2 sheet of paper.
- 3 Round watercolor brushes, pick a small, medium and large
- 2” flat wash brush
- 1 small, cheap brush for masking fluid.
- Palette – Paul uses the Quiller palette, but any large watercolor palette will do.
- Water containers – at least 2
- Paper Towels
- Graphite Paper (large)
- Masking fluid – colorless
- Any other watercolor supplies you normally use (aka: kneaded eraser, exacto knife, sketching pencil, masking tape…)
- Paint -Bring the paints you normally use. Paul will be using his Paul Jackson Signature Watercolor Paint Set by Da Vinci Paint Co.: Aubergine, Bora Bora Turquoise, Cabernet, Cowbell, Deep Dark Blue, Deep Purple, Electric Lemon, Envy, Fireball, International Orange, Jackson Blue, Kathmandu Alizarin, Marigold, Masters Yellow, Portrait Pink, Rockstar Pink, Sienna Fire, Submarine Yellow, Ocean, Ultramarine Dream
Paint with Paul and he’ll help you reach the next level of artistic confidence and ability as he guides you through a painting, illustrating the principles of design, color, value, composition and the mechanics of watercolor.
Through informal lectures, discussions, demonstrations and critiques you refine your personal painting style. Come prepared to be entertained, make new artist friends and find logical and creative answers to your watercolor problems.
Paul will demonstrate the versatility of watercolor paint. You will learn how to work in thin layers of washes to build up luminous colors. Paul will lead you step-by-step with demonstrations of the painting
process. Emphasis will be on what makes a good painting, planning the entire picture area, the importance of thinking through the composition, good division of shapes, value planning, what to communicate about the subject, and how to correct mistakes.
If watercolor is your passion, then this highly energized painting workshop is for you! Paul’s stress-free, positive approach toward the act of painting will inspire you to loosen up and have fun again. Expect an intense, concentrated and lively workshop where you will elevate your understanding of watercolor. Beginners are always welcome!
Paul is the author of Painting Spectacular Light Effects in Watercolor and The Wandering Watercolorist.