Painting a Dramatic Nightscape in Watercolor
Feb. 6-9, 2020 at Gulfport Yacht Club
Paul’s watercolor workshops are an educational and entertaining experience and we are delighted you are considering joining us for our Gulfport, MS workshop scheduled for February 6-9 at the Gulfport Yacht Club. All skill levels, including beginners are welcome to attend. Enrollment is currently still open.
Cost is $450. Reserve your spot with a $100 deposit (non-refundable) or pay in full. Balance is due the first day of the workshop.
As the sun slips below the horizon and the electric lights begin to illuminate the shadows, dramatic lighting conditions occurs. Darkness and the edges of night are a playground for painters with an adventurous spirit. Paul’s focus for this workshop will be to guide you through a painting from beginning to end, as you paint together a nightscape in watercolor. He’ll focus his demo on painting dramatic figures and objects emerging from the shadows of night and illuminated from colored light sources. You may choose to follow along with his demo, or find another subject entirely using your own references.
The suggested materials list is below. We will have some supplies available for sale or rent during the workshop. Check with us before spending a lot on supplies…we could possibly provide a less expensive alternative. We will provide the reference image Paul will be using for his demo about a week before the class in case you will be following along with his demonstration.
We’ll be painting together February 6-9 at the Gulfport Yacht Club from 9am to 3pm each day with a break for lunch. Feel free to email Marla with any questions you might have.
Suggested Materials List
- Paper– 2 sheets of Arches watercolor paper, 140lb, 260lb or 300lb cold press. (I’ll demonstrate on 1/2 sheet of 260lb -20×26”)
- Painting board-large enough to fit 1/2 sheet of paper.
- Palette – I use a Quiller palette, but any large watercolor palette will do.
- Water containers – at least 2
- Paper Towels
- 3 Round watercolor brushes, pick a small, medium and large, also a 2” flat wash brush
- 1 small, cheap brush for masking fluid.
- Masking fluid
- Any other watercolor supplies you normally use.
(Aka: kneaded eraser, exacto knife, sketching pencil, masking tape…)
- Paint – Bring the paints you normally use. Paul will be using his Paul Jackson Signature Watercolor Paint Set by Da Vinci Paint Co.: Aubergine, Bora Bora Turquoise, Cabernet, Cowbell, Deep Dark Blue, Deep Purple, Electric Lemon, Envy, Fireball, International Orange, Jackson Blue, Kathmandu Alizarin, Marigold, Masters Yellow, Portrait Pink, Rockstar Pink, Sienna Fire, Submarine Yellow, Ocean, Ultramarine Dream
- Matching colors from other professional brands will suffice.
By completing your registration transaction, you are agreeing to accept the following cancellation policy. There will be NO deposit refunds. You may transfer your deposit to another Paul Jackson Watercolors Workshop hosted by Paul Jackson Watercolors… or you may find a substitute to take your place. It is the responsibility of the person registered to make his/her own reimbursement arrangements with the substitute. We understand that last minute emergencies, illnesses or conflicts come up that cannot be controlled and we are truly sorry, but due to committed expenses on the part of Paul Jackson Watercolors, we are unable to make exceptions.
Paul Jackson Watercolors reserves the right to cancel workshops due to insufficient enrollment or other reasons beyond our control. If Paul Jackson Watercolors cancels a workshop, applicants will receive a full refund.
*** The digital and printed images of references and artwork shared with participants are the property of Paul Jackson and Paul Jackson Watercolors.